Georgia Residential Light Commercial Contractor License Exam Prep Course - In Class and via Live Webinar
Georgia Residential Light Commercial Contractor Exam Prep Course - In Class and via Live Webinar
Exam Prep Class:
This class will prepare you to take the Georgia Residential – Light Commercial Contractor Licensing Exam. This is for building one and two- family homes or one-family townhouses not over three stories high, sand multi-family or multi-use light commercial buildings, structures and accessory buildings. We cover all the material that you can bring into the exam. We review all the areas of the test that you are expected to be familiar with and we tab and highlight the areas of the manuals so that you can find the material in the books quickly and efficiently in the exam. We coach you on the logic for how to navigate the test, how to review the questions, quickly recognize the book to reference and how to hone in on the section to validate the right answers. (There is a logic to how to properly manage the test.)
Class Days and Times:
We offer the Georgia Residential – Light Commercial Contractor License Prep Class weekly live in our classroom in Richmond and Via Live Interactive Webinar.
Contractor License Requirements:
You are required to have four years working experience with two years working for a residential contractor. Educational experience also qualifies.
The Georgia Business Law is a mandatory exam required to all the other Georgia specialty exams: Candidates must pass the Business Law Exam for licensure in Georgia. Once a candidate has passed the Business Law portion of a Contractor’s Exam, he/she has met the Business Law licensure requirement for all other Contractors Exams.
A candidate must also pass the licensure portion of the exam for their specific profession – Residential Basic Contractor, Residential – Light Commercial, General Contractor, General Contractor (Limited Tier Individual), and General Contractor (Limited Tier Qualifying Agent).
All questions about applications for licensure should be directed here:
State Licensing Board for Residential and General Contractors PO Box 13446 Macon, GA 31208 (478) 207-2440 ** FAX (478) 207-1454 www.sos.state.ga.us/plb/contractors
Board staff will process your examination application for eligibility. If approved by the Board, you will be notified how to contact PSI for registration. Your results will be forwarded to the Board for processing.
Exam and Application:
You have 230 minutes to complete the exam, there are 90 questions and you are required to answer 63 correctly to pass the exam. The Subject Area for the exam covers:
- Site-work, Footings and Foundations – 8 questions
- Concrete and Concrete Reinforcement – 8 questions
- Metals – 5 questions
- Masonry – 6 questions
- Carpentry – 16 questions
- Roofing – 10 questions
- General Code and Construction Knowledge – 20 questions
- Associated Trades – 10 questions
- OSHA Safety – 7 questions
PSI Info on the exam: Georgia Contractors Exam and Licenses
Books and Study Material:
In addition to the workbook and Sample Question and Answer practice test and Tabs for each book that we produce and supply, the following books are used in preparation for the open book test:
You will need to order the Georgia Residential Light Commercial Book Bundle.
The following reference material is allowed in the examination center:
- International Building Code, 2006, International Code Council
- International Residential Code, 2006, International Code Council
- Code of Federal Regulations - 29 CFR Part 1926 (OSHA), with latest available amendments
- Carpentry and Building Construction, 2010 or 2016 (Student Edition)
- BCSI: Guide to Good Practice for Handling, Installing, Restraining, and Bracing of Metal Plate Connected Wood Trusses
- The Contractor's Guide to Quality Concrete Construction, 2005, 3rd Edition
- Georgia Accessibility Code, latest edition
- Modern Masonry - Brick, Block, Stone, Clois E. Kicklighter, 7th edition (2010)
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting, Dave Roberts, 2011
- Gypsum Construction Handbook, 7th Edition, 2014
- Technical Digest No. 9 – Handling and Erection of Steel Joists and Joist Girders, 3rd Edition, 2008
- SDI Manual of Construction with Steel Deck, 2006, Steel Deck Institute
- International Energy Conservation Code, 2009 Edition
- Georgia State Amendments to the State Minimum Standard Codes; Georgia Department of Community Affairs
You Can Purchase the Book Bundle Here:
Georgia Residential – Light Commercial General Building Contractor Licensing Exam Prep Course -Book Bundle
You must have the GA Business Law in addition to this technical license. The NASCLA Accredited Commercial General Building Contractors Licensing Exam offers a unique benefit. In addition to qualifying you as a Commercial General Building Contractor in the state of Georgia, you also qualify with this examination to participate in Commercial General Building contracting in 13 states, one US territory and in addition to 15 boards for contractors with South Carolina having both a Commercial Board and a separate Residential Board.