South Carolina NASCLA-Accredited Commercial General Building Contractors Exam - Online Class
South Carolina NASCLA-Accredited Commercial General Building Contractors Exam Prep Course - Online Course.
Exam Prep Class:
This class will prepare you to take the South Carolina NASCLA-ACCREDITED COMMERCIAL GENERAL BUILDING CONTRACTOR Licensing Exam. We cover all the material that you can bring into the exam. We review all the areas of the test that you are expected to be familiar with and we tab and highlight the areas of the manuals so that you can find the material in the books quickly and efficiently in the exam. We coach you on the logic for how to navigate the test, how to review the questions, quickly recognize the book to reference and how to hone in on the section to validate the right answers. (There is a logic to how to properly manage the test.)
Class Days and Times:
We offer the South Carolina NASCLA-ACCREDITED COMMERCIAL GENERAL BUILDING CONTRACTOR Licensing Exam Prep Class weekly live in our classroom in Richmond and Via Live Interactive Webinar.
Once you have registered you will receive a login registration and instructions on how to prepare and proceed with the course
Contractor License Requirements:
To apply for your South Carolina Business Management and Law For Commercial Contractors Exam.
INITIAL APPLICATION – Steps:
- You are required to pass the both the technical exam for the designation you are applying for as well as the South Carolina Commercial Contractors Law and Project Management exam. (needs to be linked to SC Business)
- Fill out the General & Mechanical Contractor’s License Application this link and attached 8 page document provides all the required information: http://www.llr.state.sc.us/POL/Contractors/Forms/DOC165.pdf
- Submit a financial statement; refer to the link above to determine the correct format for submitting your financial information.
- Along with the application and financial statement include the appropriate fee as listed on the application form.
Outline your work experience: Submit 2 years of HANDS-ON "in the field" work experience within the past 5 years as a full-time employee in the field you are requesting. Only commercial work experience is accepted, except for the Interior Renovation classification that can be commercial and/or residential experience. If you are in a supervisory position, submit hands-on work you supervise employees doing in the field you are applying.
Once you pass the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors, your name will be entered into the NASCLA National Examination Database and you may use this information in other states that accept that NASCLA Accredited Examination. The NASCLA-Accredited Examination Program was designed to assist contractors who need to be licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Contractors who take the accredited examination can access NASCLA’s examination database (NED) and request that their results be sent to other jurisdictions that accept the examination, thereby reducing redundant licensing requirements.
You have 330 minutes, (5 ½ hours), to complete the exam, there are 115 questions in this examination. You will need to answer 81 questions correctly to pass the exam.
NOTE: All Unlimited Building Contractor candidates are required to pass the South Carolina Commercial Contractors Law and Project Management exam in addition to the NASCLA Accredited General Building Contractors Exam.
The Subject Area for the exam covers:
- Planning and Estimating 21 questions
- Financial and Project Management 21 questions
- Safety 19 questions
- Site Construction 15 questions
- Concrete 8 questions
- Masonry 3 questions
- Metals 5 questions
- Wood Foundations and Framing 5 questions
- Thermal Moisture Protection 4 questions
- Doors, Windows, and Glazing 5 questions
- Finishes 7 questions
- Specialty Equipment and Conveyance Systems 2 questions
Books and Study Material:
In addition to the workbook and Sample Question and Answer practice test and Tabs for each book that we produce and supply, the following books are used in preparation for the open book test:
- Construction Jobsite Management, 4th Edition, 2017
- Construction Project Management, 2014, 4th Edition
- ACI 318-11 or ACI 318-14 (2011 or 2014): Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, American Concrete Institute
- BCSI: Guide to Good Practice for Handling, Installing, Restraining, and Bracing of Metal Plate Connected Wood Trusses
- Contractor’s Guide to Business, Law and Project Management, Basic 10th or 11th Edition
- Erectors' Manual - Standards and Guidelines for the Erection of Pre Cast Concrete Products, 1999, 2nd Edition
- Training and Certification of Field Personnel for Unbonded Post-Tensioning - Level 1 Field Fundamentals, 2003, 3rd Edition
- SDI (Steel Deck Institute) Manual of Construction with Steel Deck, 2006, 2nd Edition
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting, 2011
- Gypsum Construction Handbook, 7 th edition, 2014
- Placing Reinforcing Bars, Recommended Practices, 2011, 9th edition
- Technical Digest No. 9 – Handling and Erection of Steel Joists and Joist Girders, 3rd Edition, 2008
- Modern Masonry - Brick, Block, Stone, Clois E. Kicklighter, 8th edition (2015)
- Principles and Practices of Commercial Construction, 2014, 9th Edition
- Code of Federal Regulations - 29 CFR Part 1926 (OSHA)
- Carpentry and Building Construction, 2010 or 2016 (Student Edition)
- ANSI Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities, 2009
- Roofing Construction and Estimating, Daniel Atcheson, 1995
- The Contractor's Guide to Quality Concrete Construction, 2005, 3rd Edition
- Green Building Fundamentals, Michael Montoya, 2011, 2nd edition
- South Carolina International Building Code -OR International Building Code, 2009 or 2012 edition
You Can Purchase the Book Bundle Here:
[NASCLA Accredited Book Bundle URL – here]
The South Carolina Business Management and Law For Commercial Contractors Exam is required by the South Carolina Board for Contractors in addition to the specialty exams.
To get more information on the South Carolina test and regulatory info - you can visit our SC page.